Brain injuries range from mild to severe and have a profound impact on victims and their families. The long-term consequences can be physically, emotionally, and financially burdensome. Personal injury lawyers in Calgary specialize in helping victims of brain injuries seek justice and obtain fair compensation.
In this blog, we will explain the different types and degrees of brain injuries, their consequences, and how personal injury lawyers assess the circumstances of each case.
Understanding What Is Brain Injury
Brain injuries encompass various types and degrees, each with its characteristics and potential consequences. Gaining a comprehensive understanding of what brain injury is in Calgary is essential for both individuals affected by brain injuries and the legal professionals who advocate for them:
Often considered a mild form of brain injury, concussions are anything but insignificant. They typically result from a sudden blow to the head, causing a temporary disturbance in brain function. While most concussions can be treated with time and rest, some can lead to persistent and debilitating symptoms. Victims can grapple with symptoms like headaches, dizziness, memory issues, and mood disturbances, significantly impacting their daily lives.
These are bruises on the brain’s surface, and a direct impact on the head generally brings them about. Contusions can vary widely in severity, with some necessitating surgical intervention. Even seemingly minor contusions can cause cognitive problems, while more severe cases can lead to long-term neurological issues.
Diffuse Axonal Injuries (DAIs)
DAIs represent a particularly severe form of brain injury. They involve widespread damage to nerve fibres within the brain, typically resulting from rotational forces during accidents. These injuries can have profound and lasting effects, with victims often experiencing significant cognitive and motor impairments. Rehabilitation can be a long and challenging process, and some can never fully recover their previous level of functioning.
Hematomas are the formation of blood clots within the brain, leading to increased pressure on surrounding brain tissue. They can develop due to head trauma and necessitate surgical intervention to remove the clot.
Hematomas are especially dangerous as they can lead to a cascade of neurological problems if not promptly treated. Recovery can be lengthy, and victims can require intensive medical care and rehabilitation.
Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs)
Among the most severe forms of brain injury, TBIs result from car crashes, falls, or sports-related incidents. The consequences of TBIs can be devastating, often encompassing lifelong cognitive and physical impairments. Victims can require extensive rehabilitation and ongoing support to regain some semblance of their previous quality of life.
Long-Term Consequences and Challenges of Brain Injuries
The repercussions of a brain injury extend far beyond the initial trauma and can dramatically alter the course of a person’s life. Brain injury victims can face a multitude of challenges, each presenting unique hurdles to their recovery:
Memory loss, difficulties with concentration, and impaired problem-solving skills are among the cognitive issues frequently encountered by brain injury victims. These deficits can hinder their ability to carry out daily tasks, hold down jobs, or pursue education.
Brain injuries can lead to various physical impairments, from paralysis to losing fine and gross motor skills. Chronic pain is also a common complaint among survivors, affecting their ability to engage in regular activities.
Emotional and Behavioral Changes
Victims often contend with profound emotional and behavioural alterations. Mood swings, depression, anxiety, and aggression can become part of their daily struggles. These changes can complicate relationships with family, friends, and coworkers.
The financial burdens associated with brain injuries can be overwhelming. Medical bills, ongoing rehabilitation expenses, and the loss of income contribute to the financial challenges victims and their families face.
Brain injury victims can need ongoing care, support, and adjustments to their living environments. These changes can drastically alter their lifestyles and require significant adaptations for the victims and their families.
Personal Injury Lawyers’ Role in Brain Injury Cases
Personal injury lawyers are necessary in helping brain injury victims receive the compensation and support they need. Here’s how they assist:
Assessing the Circumstances of Each Brain Injury Case
No two brain injury cases are identical; personal injury lawyers understand this. They carefully evaluate the circumstances surrounding each case, considering factors like the cause of the injury, liability, and the extent of damages. This assessment forms the basis for their legal strategy.
Navigating the Complex Insurance Claim Process
Filing an insurance claim for a brain injury can be daunting and complex. Personal injury lawyers in Calgary have the expertise to navigate this process efficiently. They help victims:
- Gather evidence: Lawyers assist in collecting medical records, incident report cases, witness statements, and any other significant documentation to build a strong case.
- Calculate damages: Lawyers assess the full extent of damages, including the medical expenses, fixing costs, lost salary wages, and pain and suffering, to determine a fair compensation amount.
- Deal with insurance companies: Lawyers handle all communication, protecting victims from potentially harmful statements or actions that could jeopardize their claims.
Addressing Denied Claims and Insufficient Compensation
Unfortunately, insurance companies can deny claims or offer insufficient compensation for brain injury victims. Personal injury lawyers are prepared to:
- Appeal denied claims: If an insurance claim is denied, lawyers can appeal the decision and present a compelling case to support the victim’s right to compensation.
- Negotiate for fair settlements: Lawyers are skilled negotiators who can work to secure fair settlements that cover all present and future expenses related to brain injury.
- Pursue legal action: In cases where negotiations fail, lawyers are prepared to take legal action, including filing lawsuits against the responsible parties.
Investigating Liability and Negligence
Determining liability and negligence is importaint in brain injury cases. Personal injury lawyers conduct thorough investigations to establish these factors, which can involve:
- Reviewing accident reports and medical records: Personal injury lawyers start by thoroughly reviewing accident reports and medical records related to brain injury. This step helps lawyers to understand the sequence of events of the case.
- Consulting experts: To bolster their case, personal injury lawyers collaborate with other teams of professionals. These experts can include medical professionals, accident reconstruction specialists, insurance lawyer Calgary and other subject matter experts. Their contributions help in providing a comprehensive understanding of the case’s intricacies.
- Interviewing witnesses: Witness statements can be invaluable in determining liability and negligence. Personal injury lawyers take the initiative to interview witnesses who can have observed the accident or events leading up to it. These interviews aim to collect firsthand accounts of what transpired.
- Identifying responsible parties: It’s not uncommon for multiple parties to share liability in brain injury cases. Personal injury lawyers work diligently to identify all potentially responsible parties to ensure that no potential source of compensation is overlooked.
Partner with the Trusted Personal Injury Lawyer in Calgary
Brain injuries are life-changing events that require comprehensive support and compensation to help victims cope with their physical, emotional, and financial challenges. Personal Injury Calgary lawyers play a vital role in assessing each case, navigating the complex insurance claim process, addressing denied claims, and investigating liability and negligence.
By partnering with Sidhu Personal Injury Lawyers Calgary, brain injury victims can gain the legal expertise needed to secure the compensation they deserve. We’ll work tirelessly to ensure that victims can focus on their full recovery while the legal aspects are expertly handled on their behalf.
Give us a call today.